Farm to Plate Job Opening
Posted on January 18, 2017
Job Posting: Farm to Plate Network Manager
Reports to: Farm to Plate Director
General Work Experience: at least 3 years work experience with at least 2 years in food/agriculture systems or related fields
Education: Degree in social sciences, natural resources, or relevant field preferred (e.g., sustainable development, food systems, nonprofit management, education, economics, public health, public policy, etc.).
The Farm to Plate Network Manager will help support the Farm to Plate Network through Network planning, facilitation, coordination, and project management. The primary support to the Network will be at the intersection between local food development and the following areas: food access (including farm to school and farm to institution), healthcare / nutrition (including farm to hospital), and workforce development and education systems (secondary and post-secondary education). Other areas may include: farmland access, environment, and farm viability. The Network Manager will also assist the Farm to Plate Director with evaluation, helping to maintain population indicators and performance measures, and assist with overall Network evaluation. Ability to travel within Vermont as the job requires.
Farm to Plate is Vermont’s food system plan being implemented statewide to increase economic development and jobs in the farm and food sector and improve access to healthy local food for all Vermonters.
The mission of the VSJF is to nurture the sustainable development of Vermont’s economy by providing business assistance, network development, research and financing in agriculture and food system, forest product, waste management, renewable energy, and environmental technology sectors.
Projects & Responsibilities:
Network Coordination, Facilitation, and Project Management
- Works with Farm to Plate Director to provide facilitative leadership and support to the Farm to Plate Network Working Groups, Task Forces, and Cross-cutting Teams, as assigned.
- Helps organize annual Farm to Plate Network Gathering.
- Works with the Farm to Plate Network Assistant to provide logistical support to the Network (meeting logistics, meeting notes, etc.), as assigned.
- Provides project management and oversight to Network projects and Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund (VSJF) initiated projects.
- Works with food systems organizations to adapt and incorporate the goals and strategies contained in Vermont’s Farm to Plate food system plan to their organization, or local or regional community.
- Uses and maintains databases relevant to the staff program area.
- Assists with Farm to Plate communication related tasks, as assigned.
- Helps prepare annual report to the Vermont Legislature and Governor about implementation progress.
- Represents VSJF at meetings, as needed.
Research, Indicators, and Implementation Evaluation
- Assists Farm to Plate Director with creating new, and maintaining existing, population indicators and performance measures for the Farm to Plate Strategic Plan’s 25 goals.
- Assists Farm to Plate Director with grantee evaluation and performance measurement tracking.
- Proven project management skills
- Knowledgeable about sustainability and food systems. Preferred knowledge in areas of education, workforce development, health and nutrition, and food access.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to summarize complex topics into concise formats relevant to both general and specific audiences
- Networking skills; knowledge of network theory a plus
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Solid organizational skills and attention to detail is required
- Creative problem solver and critical thinker
- Experienced and comfortable working with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Ability to manage time e?ectively and work independently
- Team player, sense of humor, and positive can-do attitude
- Personally driven to make a di?erence
- Bonus: experience with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or Tableau.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than 9am, February 22, 2017. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience and available funding. VSJF is an EOE employer.